Associate in Arts Degree

The Associate in Arts degree shall be granted for a completed program of study consisting of a minimum of 60 semester hours of credit (SHC) of college transfer courses. Within the degree program, the institution shall include opportunities for the achievement of competence in reading, writing, oral communication, fundamental mathematical skills, and basic computer use. (Ref. 23 NCAC 2E.0204)

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) and the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA) enable North Carolina community college graduates of two-year associate in arts programs who are admitted to constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina and to Signatory Institutions of North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities (ICAA) to transfer with junior status.

Community college graduates must obtain a grade of “C” or better in each course and an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in order to transfer into a public university in North Carolina with a junior status. They should also follow their intended university’s baccalaureate degree plan, or transfer guide, to ensure they maximize the value of each of their transfer courses. Courses offered through bilateral agreements may not transfer to all receiving institutions.

In addition to completing your college transfer degree face-to-face during the day and in the evenings, you have the option of completing it totally online. See how the coursework can be completed totally online.

Reverse Transfer

Students enrolled at one of the campuses of the University of North Carolina system, and who took community college classes, but didn’t complete a degree, may be eligible for Reverse Transfer.  With Reverse Transfer, coursework taken at the four-year institution can be transferred back to the community college with the possibility of earning a community college degree after the fact. Learn more about this possibility.

Programs of Study


Christine Nicodemus
Dean of Arts and Sciences
Office 108, Fleming Building, Tarboro Campus
(252) 618-6635