High School Equivalency

The High School Equivalency program targets adult learners who desire to earn the equivalent of a high school diploma. This program is offered at no charge with convenient class offerings that include morning, afternoon, evening, and online options. The program is administered by the ECC Division of College and Career Readiness.

Interested individuals can receive more information by calling (252) 618-6707 or (252) 618-6561 , emailing washingtonl@edgecombe.edu, or visiting one of our two campus locations.


Admission into the High School Equivalency program requires that prospective students meet the following requirements:

  • Must be 18 years of age or older. Students who are 16 or 17 years of age must complete an admissions packet requiring the written permission of the principal, superintendent, and parent or legal guardian.
  • Complete student application and registration forms.


Books are supplied by the college for student use in class.

Testing Fees

Students taking the High School Equivalency test must pay a testing fee prior to registering for any official computer or paper based test. Students also must submit a copy of their social security card and approved photo identification.


In order to prepare for the High School Equivalency test, a student must gain competency in the following subjects: Writing, Literature, Science, Mathematics, and Social Studies.

Off Campus

Edgecombe Community College operates off-campus classes for High School Equivalency students in Edgecombe County. Classes may be held at any approved location where 15 or more students complete the registration process and attend regularly. Please contact LaShawnda Washington at (252) 618-6704, for more information about attending or starting an off-campus class.

Time Frame

Hours of attendance or completion are not predefined. However, careful emphasis is placed on competency and the successful completion of expected objectives. Learning materials are semi-programmed and students progress at their own rate of learning. Students may continue to work and re-enroll in the program until they successfully complete all of requirements necessary to earn a credential.

Requirements for Graduation

Guidance and counseling services are provided by the College and Career Readiness staff. An individual study plan will be provided to each student.

HSE Transcript and Diploma Requests

Test-takers who have completed the GED or HiSet test requirements and have earned a high school equivalency diploma should visit diplomasender.com. You will be required to create a username and password. If you received the GED diploma, you may enter your Social Security number for the student test ID. If you received the HiSet diploma, you will need your HiSet test ID number (this can be obtained by accessing your HiSet test account, or calling and speaking with the ECC College and Career Readiness department director or GED Examiner). For recent graduates, please wait two weeks to request your complimentary documents. There is a fee assessed for those wanting to obtain replacement or additional documents. Students may call or come into their nearest ECC HSE department for assistance with this process.